January 24, 2021 @ 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Registration required; registration ends 30 minutes prior to event start.
Join fiber artist Sydne Bortel as she discusses her artistic process during her virtual art reception. This online event, organized by the Dance Palace Art Committee, will feature a conversation with the artist discussing several pieces, followed by a Q&A session. The online gallery will be available for viewing on the Dance Palace Online Gallery for the month of January.
Sydne is excited by deeply saturated colors as well as the quieter, subtle Japanese inspired work. Her inspiration for many of the quilts includes themes of nature, cultural and social issues, working with young school children in English language learners elementary school classes, travel, Japanese fabric and art, workshops, classes, other quilt artists, and the fabric itself. Cotton fabric predominates in most of her work, with cotton and other fabric in her appliqué.
Sydne began quilting in 1982, 11 years before retirement in 1993 from her long clinical social work career. Her hope at that time was to pursue more contemporary quilting techniques and move from traditional quilting to art quilting. Quilt size varies and now all are machine quilted with occasional hand embroidery. She is a qualified quilt judge. Volunteering with Marin AARP Experience Corps, she tutors first graders mostly from immigrant families who live in San Rafael’s Canal area and has worked with the students to create quilts in the classroom.
This event is free; donations to the Dance Palace are encouraged. To donate, please visit one of these locations and please mention this event by name:
- Dance Palace website: www.dancepalace.org/donate-now
- PayPal: www.paypal.me/TheDancePalacePR
- Venmo: www.venmo.com/TheDancePalacePR
- –Registration is required; register here!
- –Online capacity is limited; one registration is good for all those watching on a single device
- –Registration will end 30 minutes before the scheduled start time
- –Registered attendees will receive an Eventbrite email with the Zoom link 10-15 minutes prior to the start of the program